Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Thank god Monday is over. Now that we got through it, we deserve some cake.
Pure, decadent, chocolate cake.
This cake doesn't have a strong pumpkin flavor; instead it lingers in the background. The leading role is the chocolate for sure, but the pumpkin is no doubt a supporting character; lending itself to create a rich and moist crumb that only enchances the chocolate in just the right way. Paired with a Spiced Pumpkin Cream Cheese frosting, together it's a delight. The bittersweet glaze is just the perfect touch to slice through the sweetness of the frosting and fullness of the chocolate cake.
I used these icing colors to tint the frosting orange, but you could certainly skip that altogether or go with any color. I could see a dark red for Christmas or Valentine's Day, or green for St. Paddy's. Then all you would need to do is swap out the Spiced Pumpkin Cream Cheese frosting for any of your favorite frosting or buttercream. The chocolate cake is so good it could just stand on it's own with a little sprinkle of powdered sugar or as cupcakes. The possibilities are endless and oh so delicious.
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 2/3 cups Cocoa
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Canned Pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cups Butter, softened
- 1 cupDark Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Line the bottoms of two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper and lightly butter.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Stir the sour cream, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugars together using an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and yolk, one at a time.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and alternately beat in the flour and sour cream mixtures in thirds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake until a tester, inserted in the center, comes out clean--about 35 minutes (mine took 42).
- Refridgerate both layers before icing
Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 packages of cream cheese
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon pureed pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon orange icing gel (depending on how orange you want to go)
- Beat softened cream cheese and butter using a mixer set on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and spices and beat on mdedium speed until well combined.
- Refridgerate for 15-30 minutes before icing cake
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Place unsweetened chocolate, unsalted butter, and sugar in a small/medium pot and cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved, whisking continously
- Add corn syrup, gentle whisk over low heat for 5 minutes
- Allow glaze to cool for 15-20 minutes until it thickens slightly
- Apply to refriedgerated frosted cake, pouring in the center of the cake to allow glaze to take over the entire top and slowing drip down sides
Adapted from Country Living